Making Disciples, Being Witnesses
Jesus is calling us to make disciples and to be his witnesses in Holland, on the Lakeshore, and to the ends of the earth. Lakeshore Academy for the New Evangelization (LANE) is a school of adult discipleship that will empower the people of Our Lady of the Lake and our regional Catholic community to live this mission.
LANE follows the call of the Magisterium to launch a New Evangelization that will bring the Gospel to those who have never heard it and propose it anew to those who are striving to reinvigorate their faith. We must know God and his commandments if we are to love and serve him, so LANE focuses on bringing the Word of God to the people through engaging courses and experiences.
Beginning fall 2018, LANE courses will unpack the treasures of Sacred Scripture and Tradition, making them comprehensible, accessible, and shareable in the twenty-first century. Classes will focus on five major components of the Catholic faith: Bible, Doctrine, Prayer and Liturgy, Social Teaching, and Pilgrimage. These are derived from the two greatest commandments: to love the Lord our God and to love our neighbors as ourselves.
- Classes will be held on both Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6:30-8 p.m. at Our Lady of the Lake Catholic Parish.
- Fall 2018 session: October 1/3 through November 12/14
- Winter 2019 session: January 7/9 through 21/23
- Spring 2019 session: February 4/6 through March 25/27 (no classes March 4/6 due to Ash Wednesday)
- Summer 2019 session: TBD
- Class registration and resources will be available online at a dedicated website.
- Scholarships will be available for those with financial need.
- LANE seeks the best instructors in the Lakeshore Catholic community. This means recruiting teachers and speakers from local academic institutions, Catholic organizations, and the Diocese of Grand Rapids. All LANE instructors will have an MDiv, its equivalent, or a higher degree or professional credentials.
- LANE welcomes, and indeed actively seeks, students who are not OLL parishioners. Courses will be offered in both English and Spanish.
The Sacred Scriptures reveal the Word of God to us. Under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, the apostles, prophets, and others wrote down the message of salvation so Christians throughout the ages would know the truth of the Gospel. LANE Bible courses equip participants to read the Scriptures with understanding and apply them to their lives today. From overviews of the whole Bible to in-depth studies of the Old and New Testaments, we will learn to love the written Word that points us to our Lord.
- BIB 101: Introduction to the Bible – Explore the history, structure, interpretation, and narrative of the Sacred Scriptures. (3-week intensive)
- BIB 201: The Old Testament Story – Immerse yourself in the history, wisdom, and prophecy of ancient Israel in this examination of God’s covenants with his people. (7-week course)
- BIB 202: The New Testament Story – Discover the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, the story of the early Church, and what it all means for the average Christian. (7-week course)
In addition to the Bible, we also receive the Word of God through the Sacred Tradition of the Catholic Church. The apostles preached what they had heard from Jesus and established the Church’s institutions to guard the deposit of faith under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. LANE doctrine courses help participants make sense of the vast treasury of the Church’s teachings. From summaries of our faith like the Creed and Catechism to specific points of theology, we will grow in knowledge and love of Christ as we follow the guidance of his Church.
- DOC 101: The Nicene Creed – Encounter the essentials of the Christian faith in this ancient, timeless synopsis of what Christians believe. (7-week course)
- DOC 201: The Compendium of the Catechism – Dive into the fullness of the Church’s teaching through this summary of the universal catechism. (7-week course)
- DOC 202: The Blessed Virgin Mary – Get to know our Holy Mother and what the Church teaches about her relationship with Jesus and the Church. (3-week intensive)
- DOC 203: The Holy Trinity – Gain a better understanding of the mystery of the Trinity, the God who is three in one. (3-week intensive)
Prayer and Liturgy
Christians continually seek a deeper personal relationship with God through prayer. Individually through private contemplation and communally through the liturgy, Catholics align themselves with the will of God and humbly bring their petitions before him. LANE prayer and liturgy courses introduce the most common prayers of the Church and enrich each believer’s prayer life. From the Rosary to the seven sacraments, we will draw ever closer to God, receive his grace, listen to his voice, and strive to obey his commandments.
- PRAY 101: Introduction to Catholic Prayer – Discover the basics of Catholic prayer, including the Our Father, the Hail Mary, the Glory Be, and the Mass. (7-week course)
- PRAY 102: Discover the Mass – Unearth the riches of the holy sacrifice of the Mass, the source and summit of the Christian life. (3-week intensive)
- PRAY 201: Liturgy and Sacraments – Grow in your understanding of the public prayers of the Church and the sacraments through which God gives us his grace. (7-week course)
God has always called his people to love their neighbors and to live with righteousness and compassion. Catholics follow Christ in loving and protecting all human life from conception to natural death, with a special emphasis on the poor and vulnerable. LANE social teaching courses spell out the way we are to live in our families, parishes, community, nation, and world. With attention to the words of Jesus and the Church’s rich tradition of social teaching, we will put our faith into action and help build a just society.
- SOC 101: Introduction to the Church’s Social Teaching – Explore the main themes of Catholic social teaching, including the sanctity of life, the family, rights and responsibilities, the works of mercy, solidarity and subsidiarity, and the dignity of work. (7-week course)
- SOC 201: Topics in the Church’s Social Teaching – Explore a hot-button social issue such as marriage and the family, stewardship of creation, economic justice, immigration, and more from a Catholic perspective. (3-week intensive)
The Letter to the Hebrews says that Christians are “strangers and aliens on earth,” pilgrims seeking our heavenly homeland. From the beginning, Catholics have lived out this pilgrim spirit by deliberately seeking experiences that help them encounter Christ and grow in holiness. LANE pilgrimage courses give participants the opportunity to go on pilgrimage locally, domestically, and internationally. From pilgrimages to Rome and Haiti to experiences and retreats right here on the Lakeshore, we will walk with our Lord on a journey of faith.
- PIL 101: Haiti Pilgrimage – Learn about the Catholic Church in Haiti, then go on a pilgrimage to visit Our Lady of the Lake’s sister parish. (7-week preparation course and pilgrimage)
- PIL 102: Italy Pilgrimage – Be enlightened by the truth, goodness, and beauty of God, and then experience them in Rome, Assisi, and Florence. (7-week preparation course and pilgrimage)
"In all circumstances, hold faith as a shield, to quench all the flaming arrows of the evil one."